Thursday, October 14, 2010

Fly Fishing Montauk State Park 10/07/2010

Well, I’ll have to say we had another great fly fishing trip this weekend down to Montauk State Park. Jim and I stayed in a park Motel unit, which was nothing special but was sure convenient. The weather couldn’t have been better, and the foliage was starting to change as well. I did a fair amount of hiking and took some pictures. We met about 6 other members of our fly club, who were all down for a scheduled club outing. I wouldn’t say we slayed them but we caught quite a few fish. We both brought some home. We heard many fisherman complain of how slow it was. It wasn’t really too crowded until our last day on Saturday. Many flies did well, including the old Glo ball, wooley bugger, dries/surface flies, bead spread, sow bug, prince nymph, and even zebra midge. We had enough fun in the park that we didn’t go to the river. I even fished the bait area some (you can also fly fish there) and caught a few when it wasn’t crowded. I had an unusual coincidence happen when I was catching fish by myself in the catch-n-release pond when a high school buddy happened along that I hadn’t seen in a long time – and guess what, he’s a  professional photographer, Mark Raynes. He took a number of shots and I think some of them will come out with me casting.
Terry

Catch & Release pond

Hatchery


Old Mill




Dam
Terry & Jim

For the complete photo album, go to:
and select Slide Show at the top right.

Terry

2 comments:

  1. Nice fish guys! Any thing hit on a soft hackle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't try a soft hackle, but might have been a good one.

    ReplyDelete