Sunday, June 24, 2012

Lake of the Forest - One Fly Outing 6-23-2012


We had a very enjoyable time at the fly fishing club outing on Saturday at Lake of the Forest in Edwardsville. Most people fished from about 8:00 until noon, when we shared a picnic lunch on the shore. A few folks went back for some more fishing after lunch (not me). That place is just loaded with largemouth bass, blue gill and sunfish (good sized of each). The weather looked like it was going to be iffy but the storms stayed away and it was cloudy and a nice temperature too. Fishing seemed best along the shoreline but not bad in the middle either. The lake level was down a couple of feet as they decided to drain some to clean up all the heavy growth (which appeared to help). This outing is officially called the "one fly" outing, so you try to use one fly the whole time. I decided to go with a woolly bugger this year (size 8 olive) instead of my typical poppers. I was very happy with the choice. I caught tons of blue gill (most 7 to 10 inches), about 15 bass (most 10 - 16 inches) and about 10 sunfish (up to about 9 inches). Very fun on a fly rod. Many others used poppers and had pretty good luck too. I believe one person caught about 44 fish on 1 physical fly and won a prize. I broke off several times and had to replace mine. The water was a little murky but not bad. I think there were about 12 people or so from the club (Heart of America Fly Fishers that is). About half the group was on one person kick boats/float tubes and the rest fished from shore.

Terry










No comments:

Post a Comment